Having applied to university twice for two different subjects in different universities, I learnt a few things about the interview process, for some people that first interview is the most important. Luckily for me it was the last.
Here are my tips for success:
- Dress smartly – Looking presentable is important, but don’t be afraid to include a little personality. Being comfortable is key, if you opt for heels, choose some you can walk all day in and clothes you can actually breathe in!
- Stay calm – Take deep breaths and try to relax, it will be over eventually.
- Talk for yourself – If your going with parents, make sure they are there just to support you, not be your voice. This is a professional degree, your expected to be independent.
- Confidence – Generally if you made it to the interview stage, they liked something about you. Believe in yourself and your abilities, you might surprise yourself. Don’t be afraid to speak first, someone has to and it goes in your favor.
- Speak clearly – Take time to speak clearly and use proper language (No LOL and BTW).
- Engage with and listen to other applicants – If you are having group interviews, really try to engage in the conversation, interviewers want to see how you interact and respond to others. It is important that you are genuinely listening to what others are saying as you don’t want to repeat something that has already been said.
- Be Unique – At the end of the day you have to sell yourself to the interviewers, write a list of your strengths, try to pick some that sum you up in three words, it’s quite a common question.
- Be Prepared – These days tend to last a while so having a book, or something to doodle with is ideal. I would also recommend bringing a bottle of water and a snack, Although they do offer refreshments.
- Research – Most interviewers will want to see your interest in the subject, so take a bit of time to research some news and topics of concern in your particular field (e.g Education and budget cuts).
- Just be Yourself – (Cliche I know) But true, they want to get to know YOU.
I hope these tips help you on your way to Interview success.
Thanks for reading.